This hearty chicken chili verde is a one-pot wonder. Serve it in bowls or turn it into over-the-top nachos! Yum!
- 1 pound organic boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 32oz chicken stock
- 1/2 cup yellow onions, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/4 cup green bell peppers, diced
- 1 tablespoons jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 2 cups tomatillo salsa, green verde salsa
- 2 cups canned great northern white beans, rinsed
1. Season chicken thighs with 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 1 teaspoon ground black pepper.
2. In a large 8-quart Dutch oven, add 2 tablespoon vegetable oil and heat over medium high heat. Once the oil it heated, add the chicken to the pot and sear both sides until golden brown.
3. Lower the temperature and add chicken stock. Allow to cook until chicken is cooked thru and tender, about 20 minutes.
4. Remove chicken and any stock from pan. Set aside.
5. Bring heat to medium, add remaining 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Add the onions, celery, green bell peppers and remaining 1 teaspoon salt, sweat until tender. Add in the minced jalapenos, cumin, cayenne and tomatillo salsa, reduce heat. Add chicken broth back to pot. Allow to simmer for about 30 minutes.
6. Shred the chicken and then add along with the white beans and simmer for an additional 15 minutes. Taste test if more salt is needed and adjust if necessary. Serve with cilantro and avocado.
NOTE: If wanting to top on nachos, do not add broth back to pot in step 5.