Cauliflower, or the “magical plant of wonder” as it’s known around these parts, is a shape-shifting vegetable that can transform into “rice,” “steak,” or even pizza crust. I like to think of it as the crunchy superhero of healthy eating.
In fact, it’s a superfood loaded with vitamins C, K, a bunch of Bs, heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids, and biotin, which promotes healthy skin and hair. In short, it’s a veggie that helps keep you healthy and pretty. Cauliflower should wear a cape.
As if cauliflower weren’t versatile enough, it takes the place of chicken in this recipe for hearty barbecued salad that’s perfect for summer grill-outs or a bring-to-work lunch.
Chock-full of greens, fiber and protein, this barbecued cauliflower salad works as a stand-alone meal or as a side to a lean protein.
BBQ Cauliflower Salad
- ½ medium cauliflower, cut into florets (or 3 cups florets)
- ½ tsp. olive oil
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce, reduced-sugar
- 3 cups coarsely chopped kale
- ½ cup canned black beans, drained, rinsed
- ½ cup corn kernels
- ¼ medium red onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- ¼ cup ranch dressing
- ½ medium avocado, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Place cauliflower on a large baking sheet.
- Drizzle with oil. Toss to blend. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Brush cauliflower evenly with barbeque sauce. Bake for an additional 3 to 4 minutes, or until tender-crisp. Set aside to cool.
- Combine lettuce, beans, corn, onion, carrot, and Healthier Ranch Dressing in a medium serving bowl; toss gently to blend.
- Top with cool cauliflower and avocado. Serve immediately.
- Look for barbecue sauce that has an ingredient list that does not contain artificial sweeteners, additives, or preservatives. There are many brands on the market that are sweetened with small amounts of honey, maple syrup, or molasses.
Nutrition Facts from Beachbody