I have introduced my daughter to play-dough a few times, and every time it has gone straight to her mouth. But to my surprise last week she actually played with it, pounded it, cut with cookie cutters and made fun shapes. So I knew that meant we were going home and making some. It was so easy and she really enjoyed helping me pour the ingredients into the pan.
This recipe seems to be fail proof, stays together great and isn’t too dry. This recipe will last for 6 months in an airtight container. The two secret ingredients that give it it’s great texture are cream of tarter, helps the dough stay together and next is the salt, not too much because that is what drys it out. So here you go, get to making, your kids will enjoy hours of entertainment and you will enjoy hours of a very happy little one.
1 C flour
1 C water
1/4 C salt
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp cream of tarter
food coloring, a few drops to reach desired color, kool-aid pack works also
pan and wooden spoon
And of course little helpers!
cookie cutters, rolling pins, plastic scissors etc… your toddler will think up all kinds of things to do.
- Pour all ingredients into pan and stir until everything is mixed.
- Once the mixture is almost clump free, heat over medium heat and keep stirring for a few minutes. It will start to clump.
- Don’t stop stirring, keep going until it forms one big clump.
- Remove from heat and knead by hand.
- Once cooled it’s ready to be played with. Store in airtight containers when not being used to prolong the life.
This is a great idea for a stocking stuffer or little party favors. I’m definitely doing this at my daughters next birthday.
Once you make homemade play-dough you will never buy store bought again because you will realize how easy it is and you will save lots of money.
Don’t forget all the fun you can have with cookie cutters!