I enjoy finding vegetarian options that I can swap in for classic items, such as burgers. I like beans and I like burgers, so I gave this a shot. My daughter loved her patty and my husband, who prefers a classic burger, thought it was a great alternative. Let me know what ingredients you choose to put it, Enjoy!
1 can pinto bean (or any starchy bean you prefer)
2 tbsp whole wheat flour
Worcestershire sauce (a few big splashes)
salt and pepper
red pepper flakes
chopped small red bell pepper
Cilantro chopped finely (handful)
hot sauce (optional, but I like spicy)
*optional seasonings: cumin, curry powder, dill, BBQ sauce…the options are endless.
Any of your favorite toppings would be great on this.
I like kale, red onion, pickles, pepper jack cheese and tomato
- Mash 1 can beans, 2 tbsp flour, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce (a few drops) and all the seasonings you choose to add. This step is hard but just keep mashing. You can add a 1/2 tsp water if you need to.
- Add chopped bell pepper and cilantro.
- Once all mashed form patties (4 small or 3 big)
- Heat a flat skillet to medium high heat and spray with cooking spray. Drop patty onto warm skillet and do not touch for 4-5 minutes.
- Warm bun in oven while your patty is cooking.
- After 4-5 minutes, shake pan lightly to loosen patty, and flip. It should be lightly browned. Cook on new side fore 3-4 more minutes.
- Put on prepared bun and enjoy.
Patty before Cooking
Patty after cooking, nicely browned
All dressed up and delicious!